Kingswood: Pollinator Pathway & Prairie
This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
The Township partnered with the Cincinnati Nature Center to install a pollinator pathway and prairie at Kingswood.
- The project was presented and approved at the June 16, 2020 Trustee Meeting.
- A Community Meeting was held on August 27, 2020 to gain additional community feedback.
- A self-guided project area tour was available August 14 - September 7, 2020 for the community to walk the site and provide additional feedback through an online survey.
- Please click here to view a summary of the Community Feedback from the Online Survey and Community Meeting.
- Phase 1: Garden installation started on September 14, 2020 with the south side pollinator pathway and north side entry garden. Work on Phase 1 was completed in September.
- Phase 2: The prairie garden installation was completed on the north side in May 2021.
- On the southern side of the park, the pollinator pathway and island gardens follow the paved path from the Community Pavilion to the new crosswalk.
- After crossing Innovation Way at the crosswalk, there is a native perennial garden welcoming visitors to the northern section where a large prairie flows along the paved pathway that leads to the right.
- The initial plans are available in the Trustee Meeting Presentation.
- Please note that the plan was adjusted based on feedback from current cylcocross and cross country users. (The northern side prairie area was relocated - pushed to the right of the "camel" hills.)
- Click here to see a list of the plants used in this project.
Project Benefits for the Community
- Encourages active, outdoor activity for all ages by enhancing walking paths.
- Increases awareness of and draws visitors to the northern section of Kingswood.
- Increases plant diversity and improves habitat for wildlife; may also be leveraged for future programming.
- Arborvitae screen on northern section will help block road noise.
- Directly supports the vision of connecting our growing community with safe places to reflect, gather, and play while promoting healthy active lifestyles, community wellness, and environmental sustainability.
- Walking trails and greenspace/natural areas are in the top 5 priorities identified for recreation amenities in the current Comprehensive Park Master Plan.
- The pollinator beds on the south side and north side entry should display growth starting in spring 2021. As these gardens mature, they will fill in and eventually will no longer need to be mulched. Please note that these will be naturalized, informal garden beds and will not have a formal manicured look like standard mulched beds.
- The north side prairie is anticipated to show growth starting in June 2021. Once the prairie fills in and matures, we anticipate mowing a few pathways through the prairie to provide an opportunity to immerse yourself in the natural surroundings.
- Please note that native grasses have been intentionally included in the plantings of both pollinator beds and the prairie to benefit wildlife. Click here to see a list of the plants used in this project.
- It will take several years for the pollinator beds and prairie to fully establish. Each year you may notice the areas being mowed down once or twice depending on maintenance needs.
- We welcome you to visit the park and check out the pollinator beds and prairie progress!
How can I get involved?
- Volunteer opportunities may become available in the future to help maintain the landscaping.
Additional Forms and Files: